This is the step by step guide to show how to install the Virtuabox Guest Addition software on Ubuntu Virtual Machine, and set up a shared folder across windows host and Ubuntu Guest Virtual Machine.
- Login to your Ubuntu Virtual Machine inside of VirtuaBox. Open a Terminal.
- Update your APT database with this command: sudo apt-get update.
- Install the latest security updates with this command: sudo apt-get upgrade.
- Install the rquired packages with this command: sudo apt-get install build-essential module-assistant
- Configure your system for building kernel modules with this command: sudo m-a prepare
- From inside the VirtuaBox Software, go to menu Devices >> Insert Guest Addition CD Image. This will mount the guest addition software as an cd in your Ubuntu. Ubuntu will ask if you want to auto run the software installation. The guest addition will install and compiled automatically in the terminal.
- In your Virtuabox, select Settings for your Ubuntu OS, and go to Shared folder and setup a folder from windows as the shared folder.
- In your Ubuntu system, you need to add the current user to the vboxsf group, otherwise, when you see the shared folder mounted and want to access, you’ll get a permission denied error. In a termainal, type this command: sudo adduser <Your User Name> vboxsf
- Reboot your Ubuntu System. Now you have access to this folder which allows you to easily share file between the host and and guest OS.